Saturday 16 February 2013

Where am I going and how do I get there?

So, here it is, the end of the first big chapter in my formal legal education is in sight.In about 3 months time, short of any major disasters I'll have enough credits to graduate as Mr Drew Long LL.B. It has taken 5 years, countless hours of study, a great many night-shifts in my 'day job', and about £10k. I've lived in 3 different places, won a mooting competition, volunteered with CAB, the University law clinic and a small criminal defense firm.

There's also a small part of me that feels in spite of this that the phrase 'arrested development' may be somehow applicable. In the time I've been chasing the law degree I've seen a great many friends get married, have kids, progress in their careers, get mortgages, divorce, etc etc, all the while i'm still at Uni, plodding away.  So I suppose the big question is has it been worth while? Will I regret having put my life on hold to go back to School? I'm hoping not. 

Trying to find work out in the big wide world is likely to be a bit of a challenge, so I'm thinking I'll have to stay on at Uni for another year at the very least to allow me to pop the word 'hons' on to the end of the LL.B. Then, after that the diploma in legal practice, assuming of course I want to become a solicitor or advocate, which at this point I'm pretty sure I do. 

So what's next? I'm thinking I'm now hitting the point where the things start to get really tough, for two reasons; 1. The quest for a worthwhile honors classification, and 2. The hunt for the elusive training contract. 

Number 1 I've got covered (I hope), basically it comes down to good old fashioned hard work. Number 2 sees to me to be the real problem. What to do then? I think there's two possible approaches, you can either go scatter-gun and apply for everything out there and hope for the best, or try very hard to focus your studies and energy on one particular area of interest. 

My plan, for what it's worth is to go for all things criminal and take a stab at earning a training contract  with the Crown Office. 

Wish me luck . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment